Frequently Answered Questions

Miscellaneous

What is hop toxicity and how does it affect my dog (or pet)?

As the hobby of home brewing continues to grow, it is increasingly important to raise awareness regarding the risk of hop toxicity in pets, specifically dogs. The exact toxic principle is unknown, however, when spent hops are ingested, malignant hyperthermia can develop. Symptoms include uncontrolled, elevated body-temperature, increased breathing, racing heart, anxiety, vomiting, and abnormal clotting. Symptoms can escalate quickly and if left untreated, can result in death. Any breed of dog may be affected, but greyhound, labrador retriever, saint bernard, pointer, doberman, border collie, English springer spaniel, and northern breeds are at higher risk. If your pet has consumed spent hops, please contact your vet or the animal poison control center (888) 426-4435 immediately.