Registration for the 2018 Alpha King Challenge opens July 30th, 2018.
Check back soon!
A Battle of the Brews
Since 1999, Yakima Chief - Hopunion and Three Floyds Brewing Company have been scouring the country for the best hop-laden beers in the land. Named in honor of Three Floyd’s Alpha King Pale Ale, the Alpha King Challenge is an annual competition held during the Great American Beer Festival® and is open to commercially licensed breweries throughout the United States.
Each year, a team of brewers and veteran beer writers test the vigor of 150 hop-forward beers and crown a new Alpha King, deeming his/her beer to be the holy grail of well-balanced and drinkable, yet highly-hopped ales. Entries are judged on overall quality and balance of flavor, and must have a minimum 60 IBUs (no barley wines allowed).
While many will contend, only one will win the crown.
Rules of Engagement
- All beers must be brewed by, and available for purchase through, a commercial brewery
- Maximum 2 entries per licensed brewery
- No Barley Wines
- Suggested minimum 60 IBUs
- Entries will be accepted in bottles or cans: (5) 12oz, (4) 16oz or (3) 22oz. No growlers.
- Once registration is confirmed, shipping information and deadlines will be provided.
- Competition is limited to 150 entries and registration will close once the limit has been met.
Questions regarding the Alpha King Challenge can be directed to email@example.com.
2017 Alpha King Challenge
Congratulations to Belching Beaver, 1st place winners with their Double IPA!
2nd Place- Sunriver Brewing
3rd Place- Pinthouse Pizza
TO VIEW THE COMPLETE ALPHA KING CHAMPION'S VIDEO PLAYLIST, CLICK HERE.