Technical Programs Director
The Technical Programs Director oversees the development, implementation and communication of technical programs designed to improve hop quality and sustainability across the YCH supply chain including farming/procurement, processing/analysis, and brewing/sales support. The Director works with their team of subject matter experts and across departments to create programs focused on adding value to the supply chain of YCH; from grower to brewer.
- Provide hands on leadership in developing the company’s technical programs aimed at improving quality and sustainability across our supply chain.
- Provide leadership in improving collaboration and communication between key internal stakeholders in the company.
- Develop and nurture a culture of quality rooted in passion for brewing and agriculture.
- Develop new programs, maintain existing programs and hand off established programs to department owners.
- Manage the Brewing Program to ensure:
- Creation of technical and educational program in brewing.
- Management of the pilot brewery.
- Creation and implementation of standard processes.
- Development of programs to train coworkers in the brewing process through classroom, and hands-on brewing.
- Coordination of brews to test hop varieties, lots, techniques or other experiments.
- Documentation, analysis and reporting of results of trials to internal and external stakeholders
- Develop agronomic services that YCH can offer growers such as consulting on growing practices and field trials.
- In conjunction with Procurement manage the overall GreenChief® program goals and scope in alignment with the YCH mission to connect farmers and brewers and improve hop quality and sustainability.
- Create in conjunction with growers, farm food safety documentation in relation to US and global standards.
- Educate growers on the importance of quality and sustainability.
- Manage grower reporting and feedback on hop quality, sustainability and other metrics as determined
- Collaborate with industry partners such as Select Botanicals Group on quality and variety development.
- Collaborate with Procurement to implement the programs outside the northwest
- Collaborate with the Technical Manager, the lab and operations on R&D projects to facilitate design of projects, analysis and reporting of results
- Participate in the Selection program to support it with technical resources to continuously develop YCH’s approach to selection to maximize learning about brewer preference and generation of relevant feedback to farmers.
- Manage all sustainability issues on a macro basis and develop strategy to improve performance across the organization.
- Work as a liaison with industry leaders to keep the company on the front end of all developments in quality processes and sustainability.
- Passion for hops, agriculture, quality, sustainability and brewing.
- Preferred background in agriculture, brewing, science, engineering or process improvement with relevant industry experience and academic training.
- Business and project management skills preferred.
- Excellent mathematical, communication and computer skills, be strongly detail oriented and be able to easily multi-task.
- Demonstrated aptitude for leadership and working cross departmentally to create long term system-wide quality improvement.
- Ability to independently initiate, prioritize, and perform or solve work problems and ultimately achieve work objectives and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in written and verbal form with co-workers, supervisor and management.
- Follow written (Standard Operating Procedures -SOP’s, company memos & emails) and verbal instructions including company safety rules.
- Familiarity with plant equipment operation and SOPs.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Possess a strong work ethic to positively contribute to the company’s mission, vision, values and environmental policy and quality policy.
- Must have a positive attitude, support co-workers to obtain desired objectives, and assist others in their contributions.
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for extended periods of time and access stairs and ladders.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat occasionally to frequently.
- Ability to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (in required areas) for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift (up to 50 lbs), carry (up to 44 lbs) occasionally to frequently within normal limits.
- Ability to adapt to changing paces and processes quickly.
- Must be able to learn ERP systems to perform data entry & print reports.
- Must be able to work long hours whether at a desk or in the field.
- Must embrace and nurture a culture of continuous improvement.
- Attentive to the task and own surroundings.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter.